Cardinal Spirits, the craft distillery and cocktail bar in Bloomington, Ind., is looking for a Head Bartender who is excited about continuing to move our tasting room, one-of-a-kind cocktail program, and company forward. If you're a talented and committed mixologist that's looking for the opportunity to take your career to the next level, this might be the perfect opportunity for you.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS:
• Constantly searching for the best way to do things, both in business and behind the bar.
• Eager to lead your own bar team and to be the driving force in pushing the midwestern cocktail scene forward. We want to become the best we can be and strive to be recognized as a James Beard award-winning establishment.
• Have the desire to breathe fresh life into a cocktail program and challenge the team with ideas, techniques, and new flavor combinations while still being approachable to the local market.
• Compassionate and patient with the staff, yet excited to see your team grow and reach heights not previously thought possible.
• Focused on hospitality and executing a high level of customer service.
• Excited about leading community cocktail and spirit education classes and distillery tours.
• Adaptive. We're opening a kitchen, so you're going to need to share a common interest in great cuisine and wear a few hats during service.
• Interested in pairing cocktails with seasonal, chef driven food.
• Great at follow through. If we ask you to handle something, we can trust that it will be done well and within deadline.
YOU POSSESS THESE QUALITIES:
Self-starter - takes initiative - adaptive - seeks creative solutions to problems - maintains grace under pressure - customer service focused - positive perspectives - food and drink interests
IF YOU WERE WORKING WITH US, HERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU MIGHT WORK ON FROM WEEK TO WEEK:
• Oversee the bartending and service team on day-to-day operations
• Facilitate the creation and rollout of our seasonally inspired and creative cocktail menus.
• Work with our head distiller as he develops a new spirit.
• Lead a bartending basics/education class to a local catering company that pours our spirits.
• Interview, hire, and ongoing day-to-day management of staff.
• Bartend and pick up shifts - you must be willing to throw down with the team.
• Cocktail recipe and spirit R&D.
• Lead an afternoon tour of the distillery.
• Daily ordering, product invoicing, and monthly inventory management.
• Build and maintain positive relationships with local bars and clients
• Scheduling, timecard management, employee interviews, onboarding, and ongoing management of staff
• Create a custom cocktail for special events.
• Work with our PR team on an upcoming cocktail blog post or magazine article
• Being present and active on the floor during service - running food when our new kitchen opens, speaking with guests about their experience, clearing tables, or washing glassware as needed.
• Ensure mise-en-place, cocktails, and service upholds the company standards.
• Collaborate with the kitchen team to determine appropriate cocktail pairings.
WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCE MIGHT LOOK LIKE:
• 2+ years of management and mixology experience in a high-end restaurant/bar or the equivalent
WHY YOU MIGHT ENJOY WORKING WITH US:
• Since YOU are running the cocktail program, you'll have the opportunity to make your vision become a reality.
• You'll have the ability to directly work with the production/distillation team on developing and tasting new R&D spirits.
• Options for a flexible work-life balance. We're not slinging drinks until 2am every night nor do we cater to the rowdy crowd. We close at 10pm Monday-Thursday, 12am on Friday & Saturday, and at 9pm on Sundays.
• We're a growing company with possible expansion into other enterprises in the future.
• We are always open to seeking new opportunities that allow you to expand your creative horizons and become a more well-rounded business professional.
• You'd live in the lovely small city of Bloomington, Indiana - home to a Big 10 university, with a vibrant arts scene, diverse population, and an active outdoor crowd.
Don't delay! We're looking for someone to join the team by mid-April at the latest!
Please take a moment to tell us about yourself here (https://cardinalspirits.typeform.com/to/xr4ikd).
Don't forget to attach your resume and state why you're interested in the position and joining the Cardinal Spirits team.
Cardinal Spirits is Bloomington's first and only craft distillery. We ferment, distill, and bottle all of our spirits on site. It's our goal to provide the community with high-quality spirits and great cocktails at a reasonable price point.
Line cook (Chef de Partie)
Cardinal Spirits is looking for a passionate, highly focused Chef de Partie (Line Cook) to join us as we open our new kitchen this spring.
Cardinal Spirits is Bloomington's first and only craft distillery. We ferment, distill, and bottle all of our spirits on site. It's our goal to provide the community with high quality spirits and great cocktails at a reasonable price. Now that we're two years old, we're building out a new kitchen and will develop an exceptional culinary program to complement our one-of- a-kind craft cocktails and spirits.
Why work for us:
Ride your bike to work on the B-Line, Downtown, anywhere in 15 mins.
Work with amazing people in a professional environment that encourages growth and high standards.
Report directly to Executive Chef and work right by his side.
We will train, nurture, and provide tools for success at all positions
Pride of building and working at one of Indiana's most interesting restaurants/cocktail bars.
We believe in promoting within our own restaurant, so there's a great potential for growth.
Constant education and support from the entire Cardinal Spirits team. We truly care about our people and invest in them.
Our kitchen's identity will have deep roots in classical French and Italian cuisines. Influences from Vietnam and Japan will be noticeable.
At Cardinal, we develop our staff to do their very best; every minute, every day, all year. Thus, the Chef de Partie (Line cook) is responsible for supervising and participating in the production and service of food at their station, staying clean and organized, as well as supporting the Executive Chef in all aspects of cost control. The position will require learning and understanding of classic cookery, wine, and cocktails. Please have a general knowledge and understanding of Department of Health (DOH) food safety standards.
With time he/she should be able to read and follow recipes, improve company standards and train new employees. We will teach them the skills to accurately read and assess P&L statements on a weekly basis. The position is full-time, but part time candidates are welcome to apply in case other opportunities come up.
The simple truth is we will help you learn and grow. Long term goals are crucial to the success of this position. We want our team to be aggressive but respectful. Confident but humble.
Finally, you should derive pleasure from providing great hospitality.
We are looking for someone that has these qualities:
Excellent emotional self awareness and the ability to maintain a graceful, warm presence while under pressure.
Curious intelligence to continue learning in the position
Open availability and a career mentality
Solid basic knife skills
A Culinary and/or Beverage certificate/degree *a plus*
*Cardinal Spirits is dedicated to hiring a diverse staff and strongly encourages qualified minority and female candidates to apply
We are trying to bring national attention to our little oasis in Southern Indiana. We strive to provide a business that creates a work/life balance and job security.
Serious applicants please visit and fill out our online application
Currently seeking hosts for Tuesday - Saturday evening shifts.
You: You're helpful, friendly to strangers, and loving to friends. You have a few years experience in the hospitality industry, you're honest, proactive, and are driven to grow as a person and in your career. You take pride in providing excellent service and are curious and excited to learn more about the craft spirits industry and sharing with our local community here in Bloomington.
You're the face of our distillery - the first person our guests see and interact with when they venture off of the B-line. You will have the ability to quickly move into additional shifts throughout the week as we expand into a kitchen!
Us: A craft distillery on the B-Line in Bloomington, focused on producing and selling highest quality spirits, and creating memorable customer experiences. Local founders actively manage operations and producing spirits. Talented and experienced bar and service team ready to welcome their new colleagues. We're also building a kitchen that's set to open in May. All applicants need to have a passion for delicious food, too!
All staff members will have the opportunity to train with our distillers and learn about the art of distillation and spirit production.
Interested? Great! Tell us all about you and why you'd be a great fit by completing this short questionnaire: